twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

I'm 30, married, dont want kids. Would you undergo hysterectomy?

My husband and I have been married for 6 yrs. We don't wish to have kids. We're both in our 30's now. What is your opinion on hysterectomy? I've been on a pill and am tired of that. Just want to be certain I will never get pregnant. Is it a risky surgery? Complications? I don't have health insurance, is the surgery costly or is there any government programs that provide this service free of charge? Please: only honest and serious answers.
Answer:
You might want to look into a procedure called Novasure. you can get details at www.novasure.com.

This procedure is used for heavy periods but I know several women that had it done as a means of birth control.

Essentially it is endometrial ablation. From my understanding, a small device is inserted into the uterus and it "burns" the uterine lining, causing scarring. Eggs can no longer attach and you no longer shed the lining so no more periods! It's a minor procedure with minimal discomfort and you will not got through early menopause as your organs and hormones are still in tact.

It is still something to consider wisely as it is permanent and of course has some risks. Ask around, do some research, but this might be a good option! Good luck
I wouldn't have a hysterectomy because that will put you into menopause. You'd be better off with a tubal ligation.
hysterectomy is not the way to go. you will never feel the same. just get your tubes tied. or try that new birthcontrol called Nuvaring. go to www.nuvaring.com.
you will never have so many big O's in one night i promise.
God no. I went through a hysterectomy when I was 28 years old because of health reasons. You have no idea how it changes your hormone levels. Your vagina dries out, and you go through premature menopause. The surgery is over $10,000 without insurance, and that doesn't count what the doctor charges you. I have had hot flashes for the past 20 years. I promise you, it is miserable even with hormone replacement therapy. The surgeon who did mine, left my ovaries, and it still was traumatic for my body.
no because what if you divorce and separate and meet others and want children later? what if one of you has canver and servives, you may decide you want children then. plus, your other organs will fall not having the uterus to hold it up. you will have bladder problems among other things.
That's very, very extreme...I think tubal litigation is better...and no, I don't think it'll be free if there's nothing "wrong" with you, but I don't know where you live.
You don't have to get a hysterectomy just because you don't want to have children. Why don't you just get fixed. You could have a hysterectomy but you'll probably go through early menopause. Its up to you.
If I were you I would wait a few years. My aunt and uncle were sure they did not want kids and they had been married 15 years, yet when they were 32 they changed their mind and now have a wonderful 12 year old boy. I am not trying to change your mind, Just give it a few years for IF you change your mind because there would be no going back.
A hysterectomy has a lot more risks than a vasectomy. I don't think most doctors opt to perform hysterectomies unless it's a medical emergency. It's always easier to work on the man.
just get your (fallopian) tubes tied! It's a much less serious surgery than a hysterectomy, and your uterus does more for your body than just carry babies--it also produces hormones that keep you healthy and young-looking.

You could also look into an intrauterine device--it's a form of birth control that lasts up to ten years at a time, doesn't (always) involve hormones, and doesn't involve surgery!
I would suggest a tubal ligation, not a hysterectomy. With a hysterectomy many women have serious side effects. I believe both would be fairly pricey. I doubt that there are any free or government programs that would help with that. I suggest talking to your gynecologist or family doctor about your options and pricing. maybe they would be willing to waive some fees, or do a payment plan.
If it's an elective surgery, then no one is going to pay for it for you. Any surgery has risks, and I would be surprised if most doctors would even agree to do it, when you can just get a tubal ligation and not have anywhere near the risk involved. Your insurance might pay for THAT procedure. Look into it first.
I don't know much about hysterectomy's but...if your husband is up to it I would have him get a vasectomy because it is cheaper, less painful, an outpatient procedure, and in some cases reversible (if you ever decide to change your mind)
Are you clear on what you're asking? A hysterectomy removes your uterus. You would have to be on hormones for the rest of your life to regulate your mood, keep hair from growing like a man, and other undesirable effects. Your best bet is to get your tubes tied. This is called voluntary sterilization. Or have your husband get a vasectomy. Talk to Planned Parenthood or another organization like that about where you can have this done and what assistance you might be eligible for.
I think you might be happier with a tubal ligation.. That way you won't have the hormone problems that you would after a hysterectomy. Life after a tubal is just like it was before other than the pregnancy worry..The recovery time is a day for a tubal and for a hysterectomy you would still be moving slow in a week or more.. The cost is much much less and the government programs tend to be more help full with paying.
i would not get a hysterectomy because of all the hormonal changes you will have to go through. but instead you could get the type of tubal ligation i got (i didn't want anymore children). the type i got is completely infalible. my doctor cut my fallopian tubes, tied them in a knot and then burned the ends of them to prevent them form ever growing back together. they are so damaged i could never get pregnant, but i didn,t have to go through early menopause.
no
i doctor wouldnt do that... have you tube tied
I certainly wouldn't recommend a hysterectomy primarily as a method of birth control. A few people suggested tubal ligation and endometrial ablation - a combination of both of those will keep your ovaries active so you won't have menopausal symptoms, but you it is sterilization so your eggs won't be fertilized. The ablation procedure destroys the lining of the uterus so you won't have periods.

I've thought about having this combination of procedures myself, since I am 42 and don't want to stay on oral contraceptives any more.
Why not try an IUD? Just in case you change your mind in 10 years...
I think most everyone here has good points about not getting a hysterectomy. That is a last chance thing.

The best idea in my opinion would be for you to talk to your husband about getting a vasectomy. I know for certain that it has some good after effect benefits for the guy (my guy can stay ready to go for at least an hour after having an orgasm..) and it will protect you from not having any unwanted kids and also not having pre-mature menopause, which I am sure you wouldn't want to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net